Saving new interpretation files

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
jyotirvidya

Saving new interpretation files

Post by jyotirvidya »

Hi Kilian,
Thanks for Kairon! Looking forward to version 4.

In the mean time, I am confused about using interpretation files. From the "Interpretation" button I see how it is possible to add and change the various pieces. But first from the "collection of texts" pull-down it doesn't seem possible to save a file. Selecting "Create a new file" does not save an actual file for me.
I tried to modify the existing example.ktex file too but changes wouldn't save. Please help as I'm sure it works some way.

Also, I am curious if the Degree Symbols are meant to appear in the Comments box when moused over? I hope so :)

Thank you!
mehemptah
Site Admin

Re: Saving new interpretation files

Post by mehemptah »

Hi David,
what you see on choosing "Create a new file" is the osx-standard-file-saving-dialogbox pointing to the proper directory.
Not being able to save either changes or new files means, that for whatever reason you have no writing-permission on that folder. Being able to read the texts shows that you have at least reading-permission.
You might wish to check all your permissions for Kairon or the specific one, using Terminal:

Code: Select all

ls -la Library/"Application Support"/Kairon/Preferences/interpretation
the above command will give you some kind of output like

Code: Select all

-rw-rw-r--   1 <your username>  staff  341635 10 Sep 15:36 example.ktex
Other than using Terminal you can also use the "Goto..." command in finder's menue-bar while holding down the alt-key (holding down the alt-key makes this Library visible) and check the info on any files therein, you should have writing-permission on all of them.
That's one of those moments, where we get back the feeling that it is still a computer we are using :-D

About the other question: What did you mouse over and where and did you see any degree symbols doing so? (Planets and houses in the radix are mouse-sensitive for as long as the Checkbox "Show Comments" is checked in the "?"-tab)
jyotirvidya

Post by jyotirvidya »

Hi Kilian,

Thanks -- yes, I have read and write permissions for the interpretations folder. When I try to save a new interpretation file, it lets me save but then that file doesn't exist. When I try saving changes to the existing example.ktex, Kairon tells me "The document example.ktex could not be saved."

My second question was more of a guess as to how these interpretations might function in the program - once saved can you access them by mousing over a planet, and if there is a degree symbol saved, could that show up in the comments box etc?

Thanks again,

David
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Hi David,

are you sure "you" have read and write permissions, or does it say some other name there?
Have you checked the parent-directories?
There is another option other than permissions: a corrupted file-system or even a corrupted hard-drive... you can also try to duplicate and rename said file using finder or terminal, this might maybe throw in some additional light. Also using vi on it or pico :->>
(just make sure NOT to do it as a superuser, for reasons of clarification :-D)

The interpretations are shown after clicking on the buttons to the left in "Generated Text" tab of the TextView after selecting the Text-File of your choice. In the Comments section only the dignities and position are listed, these are independent of those text-files.
jyotirvidya

Post by jyotirvidya »

Hi Kilian,
OK, solved -- I had moved the preferences file in use out of the Kairon pref folder, so it was being confused. Now returned, everything works. Wonderful!
Thanks,
David