Lion upgrade

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
Cancer

Post by Cancer »

MehemPtah wrote:did anybody try lion yet and kairon on it?
Kairon doesn't work with LION, I tried. Is there an upgrade ?
Thx
Cancer
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

There will be a Kairon 4 which will take some time... Kairon 3.6 seems to end with SnowLeopard... but i have a user-report who stated that she could still use it on Lion by simply doubleclicking the files twice from within the finder to open them and by saving them under a different name to save them.
According to her the rest worked. So if anybody who had crashes but was able to fix that by installing a font or whatever could report, this would be fine.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

...and meanwhile a colleague borrowed me his MacbookPro with a fresh Lion on it and i did a clean install of Kairon 3.6 on that and there was not one issue. No crash, perfect speed and every feature worked flawless... even adding a new location or saving an eps worked... also the default chart and the arabic parts.

So: if you have crashes, check if you have the required fonts still active, i.e. Verdana, Times (not Times Ten but just Times) and Kairon_Semiserif

Also make sure you really have Kairon 3.6 and not an older version.

For anything more on this, please, a VERY detailled description of HOW you installed, which Kairon Version you have and what exactly happened on what click.

8)
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

:D
meanwhile i am on Lion too, it was no problem, Kairon works fine as ever, right after the installation all was there as it had ever been.

There is one interesting point though: apple has hidden the ~Library per default.

As some of you may know in Kairon 3.6 you can go back to your original set of preferences by deleting the Kairon Folder from the user's Applicaton Support folder.
-> But how to get there without having access to the Library?

There are two ways:
1) if you like it as it is now, use your terminal to delete that folder
2) if you don't like that, type "chflags nohidden ~/Library" into your terminal

to hide it again "chflags hidden ~/Library" works fine.
augurone

Back to functioning

Post by augurone »

Based on some things that MehemPtah said, I started looking at my fonts and prefs. I had font conflicts on Times and the Kairon font. I removed all localized versions of fonts, and left system level versions.

/Library/Fonts/ are the fonts that you want

/Users/username/Library/Fonts are the fonts that are causing problems.

Font Book will resolve conflicts also, but really I recommend getting rid of the local fonts by hand and restarting your computer, then everything works a little better, at least I can open my files with the double click method.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

...now this is weird: i upgraded a non-european mac to Lion with language english and on launching Kairon 3.6 only the menubar was seen. The new window command does not work, but i can open an existing file with File>open...
This then shows the regular window without the drawer on its right. To display the drawer one has to type command-d twice (which means to first hide the hidden drawer and then show it "again")... after this little procedure all is fine again, too... except that this has to be performed on every new launch.
so i tried to figure out where this might come from and set the language to german instead of english... and what is now most weird of all: then it worked like on my mac, too.
so i tried it the other way round: also the european mac does not open window and drawer if set to english... i remember an issue with Korean Language, too, even on 10.6...
further investigation shows that if german is on top of english and any other language on top of german, any other language works. if english is on top of german, then only the trick with file>open (and pressing command-d twice) works.
For those who have no document to start, they can get one at the tutorial at http://kairon.cc or by clicking here: http://kairon.cc/files/images/tutpix_e/Promi.zip
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Bug found and fixed, it was an old thing which did not matter on previous MacOS versions: The NIB-File for the english main window with its drawer had been corrupted. The Fix was to take the german file which worked fine on every system (and gave no console-error) and translate it again... my dear wife had the patience to do so :wink:

So: this weekend a new version will go out that launches fine on non-german Lions, too. (It will be announced via the Newsletter)
mehemptah
Site Admin

Kairon 3.6.1 Download Link :-)

Post by mehemptah »

So, here it is, the new download link of Kairon 3.6.1:

http://kairon.formativ.net/Kairon_361.zip

Please, just replace your old version of the same file with the new one and all should be fine again.

Unfortunately i had to drop the Japanese Version, it could no longer be saved. I apologize for the inconvenience.
cusp

Does not work with Lion

Post by cusp »

I downloaded 361.zip, opened it and copied it to my Kairon folder in apps (Apple Lion 10.7.1. ) replacing the original app. It would not open up, but many screens did asking for various folders and files. I pointed them to those files in Kpref and SwissEpemeris folders but it just demanded more files to be pointed to. I closed out of a bunch of them... Then I finally got a preference pane and tried to set my prefs and the 'momentary place' window opened up. When I try to put in my location and go to the starchart the program crashes.

Is this a permanent flaw? Am I doing something wrong? Should I install astrology programs during Mercury retrograde?
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

you can keep the new binary, but first remove all your kairon related files (except your docs with the charts you created), then download and install the 'new' Kairon 3.6, then (if you have a full license) download and install the 'new' acs-atlas and only after this replace the binary of 3.6 with version 3.61.
the new binary needs the file-structure of 3.6 which is different from earlier versions.