On Mountain Lion 10.8.3 no Default Prefs can be customised

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
erikvlie

On Mountain Lion 10.8.3 no Default Prefs can be customised

Post by erikvlie »

Good morning,

Kairon being the best available OS X astrology software for a decent price, I always come back to it. I've tested Morinus, L'Astrologue and a bunch of others and Kairon gives one the best price/features/quality ratio.

However, on Mountain Lion I am experiencing one problem: I can launch the application, cast a horoscope, etc, but I can't open the Default tab in the Preferences panel and change the defaults such as Aries on the left, etc.

There are no error messages, no error or hangs reported in OS X's Console, and Kairon can be quit from the menu, but the Default tab never opens and when I've clicked it, no other tabs or buttons can be clicked.

Any idea how I can get this to work? Your help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for an otherwise brilliant program, though!
erikvlie

Post by erikvlie »

Actually, it's even worse. I can create a chart but when I've filled in the data, the icons to show the wheel, etc, behave the same way, i.e. I click on them and nothing happens. It looks like Kairon hangs, but it doesn't, as I can quit the program the usual way. I can even create another new chart (with the same problems)...

When a program hangs, it just doesn't respond anymore at all... Very strange.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Hello Erik,

please, make sure you already are using Kairon 3.6.1
you find how to update at the downloads page of http://kairon.cc

if your problems persist, you need to verify your ownership of the files into which Kairon is trying to write its data (but generally this is not necessary).

There is no general issue with 3.6.1 and Lion/Mountain Lion
erikvlie

Post by erikvlie »

Hi Kilian,

Thanks for the advice. I am running 3.6.1 on an i5/3.2GHz iMac with 16GB of RAM. Just so you know I understand you when you're talking tech: I'm an IT journalist and *behind* writing for magazines like ANewdomain.net --together with Jerry Pournelle and John Dvorak from BYTE -- if you're old enough, you know who I am talking about :-). I also review software on a daily basis, so I'm familiar with how the system works.

I tried these:

- changed permissions on the data file
- changed permissions on the application support > kairon folder
- deleted the app support folder and restarted the app

The problem persists. I can open a chart, switch between chart settings (where you fill in / change birth etc. location) and text files tab (where the interpretation/AAF... is listed), but when I try to switch to the graphic wheel or the aspects, nothing happens. The icon I clicked remains dark, i.e. selected, and the program just waits -- it doesn't hang; I can quit normally. I can open Preferences but when I click Defaults, the same happens.

I disabled Suitcase Fusion 4, but that doesn't help.

I don't know what else I can do at this point. Your help is much appreciated as I'd love to experiment with astrology....
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

ok, then a missing font must be the cause: you do need Times and Verdana and Kairon Semiserif. The last one gets installed but in case of suitcase it needs to be activated, Verdana is only missing if explicitly deactivated, but Times sometimes is just not there, instead there might just be Times Ten only.
erikvlie

Post by erikvlie »

All turned ON and all residing in the system's Library > Fonts folders I'm afraid. :(
erikvlie

Post by erikvlie »

Can you make other suggestions, Kilian?
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

all that comes to my mind is to get another mac, install Kairon there and then compare why it runs on one and not on the other... i am sorry, but i myself never had an installation that failed on any of my devices. i just keep repeating the standard requirements, like a parrot, and usually one of them matches :-/