trouble in installation

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
kei

trouble in installation

Post by kei »

Hello, I just purchased and registered the full atlas version of Kairon yesterday, and had some trouble in installing/using of the application. Would someone please give me any advice? I'm using Intel Mac with OS10.4.1.1.

What I did was :
1. Installed Kairon3.6 safely
2. Double clicked and tried to open Kairon.
3. Dialogue telling "Kairon Semiserif alart" appeared, and couldn't open it.
4. Checked /Library/Font and there was the font, but system didn't recognize it
5. Activated the font using Font utility, then it was installed in /User/Library/Font folder
(Font utility didn't recognize that font in /Library/Font folder, either)
6. Double clicked Kairon and that time it worked.
7. But then, no window appeared.
8. File/New, File/Open,Command-N, Command-O didn't work either.
9. Double clicked the Promi file several times, then suddenly window opened, but with no data at all.
And "change" button, "+" button and "save" command didn't work, either.
11. looked Kairon3.6/preference/file
12. It showed the paths like these;

/Library/Application Support/Kairon/SwissEphemeris
/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Kairon/Preferences/def_jp.Kair
/Library/Application Support/Kairon/SwissEphemeris/seasnam.txt
/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Kairon/Preferences/def.Arab
/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Kairon/Preferences/Private.Acs
/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Kairon/Preferences/Egyptian_Terms.kdat
/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Kairon/Preferences/interpretation/default.ktex

13. I corrected all the paths into /Library/Application Support/Kairon/.....
   and deleted the Kiron forlder with a preferences folder in it, from /Users/myname/Library/Application Support.

(There were two Kairon folders in /Library and /User/Library both seemed to be installed at a time. Is it normal?)

15. Then closed Kairon, open it again, but nothing changed.
14. Deleted com.Kairon.Kairon36.plist from User/Library/Preferences folder, and the Kairon folder from Library/Apprication Support. Tried to open Kairon again, nothing changed.

16. Deleted everything again including standardinstallation.pkg from receipt folder.
17. Installed Kairon once again.

And, the same thing happened. Then Rebooting Mac, setting language to only English, downloading a new installer again...I think I've tried everything that I could imagine, but they never worked. I've downloaded ACS_Atlas, but have never reached the stage of installing it yet. 
Sorry for long post in bad English, I hope this explanation makes any sense. :cry:
keicat.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

hi,
please, delete all you did, before going on trying. it is important to use spotlight to get rid of all files containing kairon anywhere in their name.
on osX there is a problem with font-replacement of default fonts, if you don't have a font installed, that is considered standard, there is no automatic workaround like on os9... so in most cases of no window coming, kairon misses standard system-fonts, please have a look at this older topic:
http://kairon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=151
besides you did not mention you downloaded the ACS-Atlas, so after reinstalling you need to install the atlas, as well. (With changed paths the Atlas installer won't work... so do all installations and then change all your paths.... but changing paths you are up to yourself.... don't change paths before all is running smoothly, for i won't change my paths just because you did.... :-)
kei

Post by kei »

Thank you for advice, MehemPtah
But unfortunately, I still have exact the same problem...

After deletion of all files which were found by Spotlight, I re-installed Kairon, and then installed ACS-Atlas.
Then I confirmed that there exist Kairon Semiseif and other necessary fonts - Optima, Times family and Verdana, in /Library/Fonts folder.
In Font Book, they are all activated and I can use them in other applications.

Then, Kairon was quickly started up, but still no window appeared.

After reading your comment and these topics, I tried them several times
http://kairon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=151 ,
http://kairon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165 ,
And results were the same.

I think I'll try again this afternoon (it' almost 5:00 AM in japan),
but if you can give me additional information (if any) I'll be so happy. :wink:

Thank you.
keicat.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

one more thing i have: try changing languages of macos, eg set your system to english, maybe this also plays a part.
what mac and operating system do you have, if i may ask?
kei

Post by kei »

Hi,
I use Intel Mac with OS10.4.1.1.
I can't start Kairon correctly yet, and suppose it's caused by some kind of font confliction in my system.
Thank you for new idea! I'll try to set system to english maybe this weekend.
keicat.