Adding Asteroids (Vesta)

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
waywuwei

Adding Asteroids (Vesta)

Post by waywuwei »

When trying to add the asteroid Vesta I received the following message:

To calculate "Juno" you either need the file "se00004s.se1" ( 1500 - 2100 AD ) or the file "se00004.se1" ( 3000 BC - 3000 AD ) from "ftp.astro.com/pub/swisseph/ephe/". It must be in the folder "ast0" in your "SwissEphemeris" Folder. For more information please consult the Tutorials of the "Help-Menu"

I used ftp to go to the Swiss Ephemeris site but could not fine the specified file. I did find this readme.txt file which says in part:

seas*.se1 SwissEph ephemeris files with asteroids Ceres, Pallas, Vesta,
Juno, Chiron and Pholus, 600 years per file
BE AWARE that the same files are also in the archive files
below. It is faster to download them in archived format.

These files cover the time range 5400 BC to 5400 AD.
Within this time range, the planet and Moon files for
3000 BC to 3000 AD are derived directly from the JPL ephemeris,
whereas the other files are created from Astrodienst's
own numerical integration.

Since these are different names, how do I use this information so that Kairon will find it when I am using this asteroid in a chart?

Thanks for any help....
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

why don't you just select vesta?
(it has been part of kairon ever since, so just select it at the objects tab with the other planets [sun, moon, mercury,...])
you can read the full description about the installation and options of asteroid files at http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swisseph.htm
this will tell you all about the larger files, which planets they contain and for which timely range they are meant.
please ask back, if you still have questions or if it is too complex or whatever :-)
Autumn

Trying to add astroid Rhiannon

Post by Autumn »

I'm getting the same error message as the previous poster, but a different file/folder name. I've gone to the site you suggested and even went to ftp.astro.ch/pub/swisseph, but have no idea how to become a registered user. I've purchased your program yesterday after the 30 day trial. Please help, thanks :(
Autumn
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

/pub/ indicates, that this is public, so no registration is needed. each ftp-client has an "anonymous" option for such cases :-)
if you can't find out, please list the exact steps how you try and with what ftp-client and what the client's manual says on this and then i can get more specific :-)
Autumn

Trying to add astroid Rhiannon and Eris

Post by Autumn »

I was unable to figure out how to add Rhiannon and Eris. The error message I get for Rhiannon is SwissEph file 'se16912s.se1' not found in PATH '/Library/Application Support/Kairon/SwissEphemeris/'.
The message I get for Eris is SwissEph file 's136199s.se1' not found in PATH '/Library/Application Support/Kairon/SwissEphemeris/'.

When I initally attempted to set up Rhiannon the error message is:
To calculate "Rhiannon" you either need the file "se16912s.se1" ( 1500 - 2100 AD ) or the file "se16912.se1" ( 3000 BC - 3000 AD ) from "ftp.astro.com/pub/swisseph/ephe/". It must be in the folder "ast16" in your "SwissEphemeris" Folder. For more information please consult the Tutorials of the "Help-Menu".

I found the file and assumed I could copy and paste the file "se16912.se1" to the folder ast16. I added this folder in the Kairon library. This is the error message I get - The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “se16912s.se1” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

What did I do wrong? thanks for your help!
Thanks for your patience.
Autumn
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Hello Autumn,
you might get such an error, if a file was incompletely downloaded (use the info command and compare its bytesize with that on the server) or if you are not the owner of the folder where you wish to place it.
As you created that folder you should automatically be its owner. Yet the info command lets you choose an owner, too, and lets you put restrictions on read and write to that directory. If after checking the size of the file and comparing and setting up the permissions and ownership of the folder are same as on other folders to which you can copy paste files are same, you might still give drag and drop a chance or the mv command of the terminal. in the terminal you can chmod and chown the directory, etc.
Please, be aware, that the file se16912s.se1 is 88.511 Byte while the full file se16912.se1 (from folder "longfiles") is 864.014 Byte of size. The small files have a much shorter ephemeris range, like indicated in the first dialog.
I just did all this, to be sure, on Mac OS 10.8.1 and all went fine, as well with drag and drop as also with copy-paste.
if you still have problems, try with another file to move it into your newly created folder and maybe delete that folder again and create it anew.
you should be able to move ANY file there :-)
so basically it is all about filesize, ownership and permissions.
Autumn

Trying to add astroid Rhiannon and Eris

Post by Autumn »

O my god/dess!!! I upgraded to 10.8 and it worked!!!! Thank you! :lol:
Autumn
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

great :-)
(i guess it got to do with the permissions then)