Kairon 3.6 download won't install

Frequently Asked Questions, not answered in the tutorials. Häufig gestellte Fragen, die im Online Tutorium nicht beantwortet sind.
StarryNight

Kairon 3.6 download won't install

Post by StarryNight »

I have downloaded the 30 day trial 3 different times but after it I agree to the terms, the installation just stalls. No destination disk is found to continue. What is happening?
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

could it be your system is less than 10.3?
StarryNight

Post by StarryNight »

It is OS X 10.3.9, so it should work. The installer doesn't look for or find the destination disk. All the lower buttons are just greyed out.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

well, i just tried it on my 400 MHz iMac with 10.3.9 and with 320 Mb Ram and the only way NOT to get the installer searching and finding the Harddrives is to say NO to the License. So, if you actually clicked on the accept button with your mouse (pressing "enter" is not sufficient) then i can just ask you to bring in your mac somewhere; i would like to take a look at it myself, but probably your inclinations to go all the way for vienna are rather small.
so all i can do is try what you describe on a same or at least similar system configuration, and only if i can reproduce the problem there is a chance to find where the mistake can happen.
i tested the installer myself on 10.3.9 G3, 10.4.x G4, 10.5.x G4, 10.5.x Intel... not any troubles on either platform so far, and you are the first until now who reports this bug.
is your harddrive a built in hard drive?
at least i can wish you good luck :-/
Suzzanne7

Also unable to install 3.6

Post by Suzzanne7 »

I am having the exact same problem as Starry night posted. Operating a Mac g4 with OS 10.3.9. I had downloaded the trial version of 3.6 a few months ago, it worked, I had to reboot my system and reload my system software and hence I tried to re install Kairon 3.6. I have the same issue of after I accept the terms and conditions the installer freezes on the select destinations page, but no destinations are listed or are ever found. Could there be some reciept file telling the installer I already have a copy? Or is there some issue with 10.3.9 and Kairon 3.6? If I purchase the disc and download from there, is there any guarantee I won't have the same problem?

I tried to go back to using 2.19 by using Classic environment, but it will not open, claiming it has used all the memory and I need to "increase applications memory heap".

I am currently using Kairon 2.14 on my ancient Mac PowerPC because it is the only way I can use Kairon, as I cannot get either version to operate on my powerbook. Please help
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

:idea:
We got a bit further on this recently... i am sorry to say there actually IS an issue on 10.3.x with the installer, on ENGLISH systems. If at my old iMac i go to system preferences:international and drag german to the top, the installer will install properly and kairon will adapt to the english version just as well...
but if on my iMac at home i drag english on top of the languages tree, then the installer will just not show me any install button.
switch back the language immediately after installation and before launching kairon.
i have no idea how and why it behaves like that, nor have i been able to try it on a US-Mac... but if you could give this a try and post the result it would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Will you?
:wink:
PS: you need to increase the memory heap because of your screen size, kairon 2.19 was designed (please, don't laugh now) for 640x480 screens... so to run kairon 2.19 select its icon in the finder, press "apple-i" (or choose info from the finder menu) and increase the memory to something like 16384... just go on increasing with multiples of 4096 until you don't get the error any longer... it should be done in a few seconds :-)
Suzzanne7

Changing language fixed installer to OS 10.3.9

Post by Suzzanne7 »

Thank you for your prompt response. I followed the instructions you gave,

Change language to German
Logout and Login - everything written in German
Ran installer for Kairon 3.6 - Installed with no trouble at all
Changed language back to English, logout, login
Opened Kairon 3.6 working fine, in English

That solution solved the problem perfectly.

Also increased memory heap for my 17" screen was 40960 (ten times, screens used to be so small.)

Thanks again for responding so quickly. I will now enjoy testing out all the new features of 3.6 with my old version to compare. Have a great day!
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

thanks for your feedback,
most welcome!!!