Bug(?) while entering new locations

Enter what you feel you would like to see implemented or changed in Kairon... your ideas will get implemented in some way or another, i will generally answer only to ask back, if something is not clear enough for my personal understanding... as my normal answer to feature requests is: "as soon as possible and thank you for your contribution" :)
Amema

Bug(?) while entering new locations

Post by Amema »

I am in the process of adding new locations, and it is not entirely clear and intuitive. It would be nice to see some simplifications in a new version. But until then, a correct tutorial would come in quite handy.

When I want to add a new location, I search for a nearby town - in this case Stockholm. It's pretty far away; 400 km, but seems to be the only Swedish town in the list. Having found it, the data enters the main fields beside the City list and I may change them. I then - intuitively - press the Add button, but get the Save Error message "To continue safely, either click "change" or "+" at the bottom of your Names-List".

So, I OK the error box and follow the instruction by clicking the Change button under the name (the location is still the correct one). When I press the Change button, the location reverts to the top location in my Own City list. Clicking the Own radio button, the new location is not there.

I click Mini again, and the first search string - Stockholm - is still in the search field, but the location is now the first of the Mini list. So, intuitively, I put the cursor after m in Stockholm and enter "Stockholm" again, but nothing happens. I have to delete Stockholm and then type it again.

After having typed Stockholm again, the data shows up in the location fields again. I change it yet again to my new location. Being wise from last attempt, I press Change under the name instead. Nothing happens...
In vain hope, I press the Own radio button, but there is no trace of the location I tried to add.

I actually succeeded in adding two correct locations to my Own list, but by now I'm so frustrated and confused that I don't remember how I did it.

I have seen in the forum that I'm not the only one being confused and frustrated, so this issue needs some attention. The tutorial is useless as it deals with an earlier version of Kairon 3.
You may contact me using either Swedish, Esperanto or English.
Amema

Addendum

Post by Amema »

Today I logged in to try again.

The city I tried to add yesterday is nowhere in the lists, but it does exist for the person I added.

Trying to Add the city while the person is elected gives the right response from K3, as it shows the extra window for details for adding a city. I click OK and all I get is the "City ((null)) ((null))" result, even though the country field says "S" and I copied it from Stockholm yesterday.

Trying to do it the "correct" way - copying a city from the Mini list and add it to the person - ends me up in the same place as yesterday.
Amema

Come to think of it...

Post by Amema »

To sooth my mind I went over to the Transits to check if I truly have a Blonde Moment, or what.

I live in a village that doesn't exist in my Own list. I don't know of any person being born here, so I will not be able to put Lysvik into my Own list then, if I understand the roll correctly? That is, I just want to add the location, not a person being related to it.

Or do we need to add a NN person to the database, add the city and then delete the person. Would the location still exist in the database?

Why is it not possible to just add locations, or am I missing out completely on something?
mehemptah
Site Admin

How to add a new locaton to the atlas

Post by mehemptah »

this works, if you follow it exactly :-)

0) select any chart to avoid the "click change or add" error
1) click "add" at the right of the bottom of the Atlas entry fields
2) if you don't know it by heart yet, read the Time-Zone Alert
3) follow that Alert selecting a nearby city from the atlas
4) enter the new cities name and coordinates into the fields on top
5) click ok to save that city or cancel to have nothing changed

your city is now in the "Own" atlas and can be used at any time and uses the timezone calculation rules of the "nearby" city you selected at 3)
Lumo de Stelo

Re: Bug(?) while entering new locations

Post by Lumo de Stelo »

After many years - I've been ill (as in really ill) - I wanted to take up astrology again. I installed Kairon on my new machine and needed to add my place of birth. It didn't go well, so I went here to search for a solution... and found my old post from before. Gee, it's been 7 years. Saturn playing tricks?

I tried the proposed fix, and I get halfways. The new town is there in the own atlas, with all the right coordinates, but to the name of the town ((null)) is added and in no way may I change the country abbreviation. If I start with a town from the same time zone (no Swedish towns in the mini atlas, so I picked Austria) it reverts Timezone to "00hw00:00" and will stay so, no matter what I try to add.

If I really wanted a full list, I might buy the full version, right? Well. I don't want to. If I can't make it work in the payed and smaller version, how would paying more help? Is it only me? Everybody else seems to make it work here, and that makes me wonder, because I'm no beginner when it comes to computers.

Well, after so many years, maybe someone else has come up with another astrology program that I understand better, or that understands me better...?
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Hello Lumo, i am sorry to hear about your illness.

Anyways, entering a new location is not that difficult, if you do it in the right order, i walk you through Karlstad:

First click on Add Place at bottom right, this is before you enter your intermediate location, which in case of Sweden will be Stockholm.
On top, the alert now tells you to select a town: type 'stoc' into the search-field and see how the list of places changes and how Stockholm is automatically selected.
Very important is now to make sure, it was also entered, do so by clicking another location and then clicking back on Stockholm in the list - you see the entries to the right change on doings so.
Now you have timezone 1he00:00
Into the Name-field in the upper part of the dialog, right ABOVE the list, type 'Karlstad' and make sure there are not any brackets... just 'Karlstad' (don't do anything in the darker area at the bottom, near the list of places)
Then on top edit the coordinates, change 59n20:00 to 59n22:00 and 013e02:00 to 13e30:00
Near Karlstad hit 'OK'.
Now select 'Private' Atlas and see how beautifully Karlstad is in there and select it to make it effective for your chart.

Once selected you can also change the name or coordinates, just edit the values and click on 'change' at the bottom - it is that straight forward.

The Full Atlas has 130.000 us-locations and 100.000 international ones, while the Mini-Atlas has 9.000 us-locations and 1.000 international ones.
Maybe instead of the city-name you typed the country-name into the search-field, or maybe you typed into the fields at the bottom instead of those on top - i have no idea, but the above was written while doing it, so Karlstad is no problem at all.

How did i arrive at Kairon's pricing?
In 2004 ACS offered their Atlas as a standallone application (the Atlas built into Kairon) for 200,- U$ and they offered their Atlas for 69,-U$ as a plugin to applications that had the mini-atlas built in but could be extended for the full atlas. I did not want to compete my licensed product to the one i licensed it from, and i wanted at least 35$ for Kairon itself. So if you add 35 to 69 you see, that 85 is in fact even less than 104!
Now what is the difference with Professional Licenses? In fact the regular price for Kairon is 200U$ for those who sell their charts - they have that money back quickly and pay no taxes for the amount of their purchase. Those, wo do astrology for idealistic purposes find support by having it for 85U$ and those who want to do only a few charts in their neighbourhood and know they don't need a world-wide Atlas get it for 35,-

It would be nice, if you could tell, what your mistake was on entering the town, because that might be something others also overread or misunderstand and for me it is also helpful to know, as everybody has blind spots and specific ways to think, so i might never ever even try what you did and therefore never be able to give more straight forward advice.
Amema

Post by Amema »

Thank you for the fast reply!

(Actually, Lumo was an account I created years back when something happened to the Amema one. I forgot which one was my real account creating my last note.)

Complaining above, I was running Kairon on Yosemite and that ended badly. My old mac only run 10.6.8 and I have a partition for that OS on my new mac as well. The old Kairon installation had a bug so I couldn't open it anymore. Now I installed a fresh download on the 10.6 partition, and that works as you describe it. I'm not sure Kairon is supposed to work on OS 10.10 (Yosemite), but the download page only says "10.3 or higher", and installation worked. But the rest is somewhat bumpy. The only thing that happens when I add a new place as you described, is that I get a place called "99999(zzzzzzzzzzzz)". Saving sealevel numbers didn't work at all. They just disappeared.

Regarding user feedback, I always thought Kairon was much classier than anything else I could find and still find, as I made a search and checked a couple of other astrology software, just to see if anything had happened. Even the ones called "top notch", "state of the art" and "professional" and are upgraded recently, look as old windows 3 clones. Kairon really stands out after all these years. That's a feat!

The only one I found interesting was L'astrologue, but that seems to be out of business now - no homepage to be found, but a demo is downloadable and it has a few interesting features for transits that I wouldn't mind seeing in Kairon. I had an old software ages ago that showed transits for periods as diagrams so that one actually saw the waxing and waning of every planet. That made it silly simple to look for trouble spots in three year batches. Very handy. That I miss, but haven't seen in any other software. I find working with transits cumbersome in that way in Kairon. I would also like to make transits for combined charts etc, but that isn't possible as far as I understand.

Apart from that, I always was slightly apprehensive regarding Kairon. As if I couldn't trust it completely. Not the info as such, but the functions. It seems more technical than needs be, possibly. Not as self-explanatory, as the hassle with places during years has proven :).

I totally get that you need to cover your expenses and then some, but I just stated that upgrading to a more expensive version would probably do me no good under the circumstances, as proved right just now. I never bought the full version only the small one back then, because at the time I was a poor student who didn't really need a list of places all over anyway. Now, after all the illness, I'm really not in a better position. ("So how come she can afford new macs, then, huh?" My old mac was a gift from my mother and the "new" one is not really new and certainly not mine, but owned by an NGO project I head.) And I still really only need a few minor places around here as I mostly do astrology for the close family and a few friends.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Hello Amema,
so i forget about "Lumo", then :-)
Thank you for your feedback on what is important to you and what not, highly appreciated. Also thank you for still liking Kairon, even though it allows committing mistakes. On the new Kairon i give special attention to those things like choosing a feature, changing the view and having to select the feature again. One can get lost, i admit. I don't give out updates so quickly, because i want to digest thoroughly and implement features seemlessly rather than patchworky.
I have the most recent MacOS and Kairon has no problems with it, at the moment of writing those lines we are approaching the end of January 2015 and my MacOS is called OSX Yosemite 10.10.2. In App-Purchase no more works since Intel, only on non Intel, that seems to be it about compatibility issues. The Kairon of this moment should read Kairon 3.6.1 in the About box.
If you really have difficulty following my explanation on how to add a town, i can follow yours, i have no problem with it, and tell you the difference between what you actually do and what you should do instead - but this only works, if you let me know, step by step. In fact you can just follow my explanation i gave you, as long as you do so exactly it also works - it is just not compromising :-D
About moneytroubles: All translators ever got their copy of Kairon for free, so you still have the option of doing a translation to Swedish and if you start early, you can have a full Atlas of old Kairon, too :-D
In that latter case, please email me.
Black Rat

Post by Black Rat »

If I get "((null))" next to my entry and the name of the city that I entered before the state/region is not showing up, what did I do incorrectly?
Thanks!
Current Western astrology student.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

Yeah, when you enter a new location it will automatically show it like "city (state)" in the line of the cityname. This is nice to look at it, but before saving you should remove the state to arrive at "city".
If already too late, just select the location and in the line that shows the location's name with the brackets, remove all brackets and other stuff except the pure name of the city and click "change" and fine, too :-D
let me know if it is still bugging you,
kind regards
Kilian

PS: Null you get only if you did not follow the instruction that is automatically displayed. You MUST select a nearby location, otherwise you end with rubbish-locations that lack important timezone information
for a step by step instruction please scroll a little up and read or click here and read (this should automatically scroll you up) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118&p=998#p947