Please Help Me Add Mt Everest Nepal to my atlas

This is the old FAQ vor Versions 3.0 - 3.5.12
For full support please download and install Kairon 3.6 and ask your questions into the new FAQ
Das ist das alte FAQ für Versionen 3.0-3.5.12
Für vollen Support bitte Kairon 3.6 herunterladen und installieren und Fragen dann ins neue FAQ für 3.6 posten. Eine Fortführung des alten FAQ würde hier nur verwirren.
Suz

Please Help Me Add Mt Everest Nepal to my atlas

Post by Suz »

I'm having lots of problems. I've been trying and trying and have had to delete all futile efforts. I only want to add Mount Everest Nepal to my world atlas. Why is this so difficult for me?
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

it should be totally easy, just click the add button, select the proper town that is closest from another atlas and then save:
if now the data are not available in your Private atlas, then it is high time to check for the read and write privileges. This is done by going to Applications:Kairon:kPref and by applying the finder's info command on the file "Private.Acs". if you have only read privileges, select the appropriate user and then make sure you have read AND write privileges.
Best also have a look at all other files, ending in .Arab, .Kair, .kdat
8)
Suz

Post by Suz »

I'm not getting anywhere with this. I've tried using "nearby" villages. I could only find one but it's not close enough. I'm getting lots of nullnullnull.

I have the long/lat. Why can't I just use it? 27°59?17?N, 86°55?31?E

I have the sealevel 8848 meters above sea level

I'm very, very confused. I need to do this for my research.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

of course you can just use the long lat... the rest is just about saving the long lat into the Atlas file so that you need not reenter it every time anew. As you did not ask about it and as you did not mention it: what are your privileges on the Atlas file? Who is its owner?
Suz

Post by Suz »

All permissions are perfectly fine. I am the owner.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

weird...
...could it be you maybe actually entered 27°59?17?N, 86°55?31?E instead of 27N59:17, 86N55:31 ?
You can't just enter anything... you will need to follow the syntax the app has been suggesting.
Suz

Post by Suz »

I know how to enter long/lat. I would not, have not used question marks instead of numbers.

I'm just not getting where I want to get. I don't know why. It's ridiculous not to be able to calculate this.

I've been struggling with this for 3 days.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

if you omit the questionmarks, do you not see there is still a great difference between what you entered and what i entered?
Anyways, no matter where you are here in steps, one by one:
a) click enter location
b) select a location from the list close to yours
c) enter values for long lat, but EXACTLY keep the syntax
d) enter a sealevel or not, it is immaterial
e) enter a name you wish this new location to have
f) click ok near the name
g) select "Private" Atlas and see your new location, if wrong, delete it after selecting it from the list.

I wonder: did you do anything else?
Suz

Post by Suz »

I think the problem arises with the part where, to create a new location it is necessary to pinpoint a "nearby" location. This is Mt Everest. From the closest villiages, it's stll takes almost a week to walk there. Where exactly is nearby? Of the villages that I could discern, and the ONE I was able to find in the built in atlas, it was way, way too far off as to closeness to Mt.Everest.

In the town I was born in, there is a significant change from one side of town to the other. If I used the general town lat/long, I was getting a chart that did not feel at all like me. Then on researching the town itself, I came across a great deal of information about the actual hospital that I was born in. In that article was the lat/long of the hospital itself! When I recalculated my chart with that lat/long, there were some subtle differences, but enough so to feel like it was actually me. So, I am a big believer that the more exact the lat/long is, the more close to real the chart becomes.

This Mt.Everest thing seem trivial, I suppose, but it is not to me.
mehemptah
Site Admin

Post by mehemptah »

The most nearby city means a city that lies in the same political region, so that the political timezone and daylight saving rules are applied correctly. As regards exactness, you should also consider: 100km of distance relate to approximately 4 minutes in time.
This means, every minute of time inaccuracy is as big a mistake as a city at a distance of 25 km. So, if the time is in an exactness range of a quarter hour, it is as if you wouldn't know about the place for about 375 km.
(It is always good to have this in mind, for then you can get a better feeling about what is possible and what is not)
Best wishes and take care,
Kilian