Kairon w/ New Imac's

This is the old FAQ vor Versions 3.0 - 3.5.12
For full support please download and install Kairon 3.6 and ask your questions into the new FAQ
Das ist das alte FAQ für Versionen 3.0-3.5.12
Für vollen Support bitte Kairon 3.6 herunterladen und installieren und Fragen dann ins neue FAQ für 3.6 posten. Eine Fortführung des alten FAQ würde hier nur verwirren.
marklasv

Kairon w/ New Imac's

Post by marklasv »

Hello There,

I've just purchased a new Imac with the Intel Core Duo chip and was wondering if Kairon would work. It was very disappointing to see how little astrological software there is for MAC compared to Windows. In fact, many reviewers say that windows is the only way to go if you want t a decent program. Kairon looks great and I'm hoping it will work, as I'm trying to migrate everything over from my windows machine to the new mac.

Any input/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
mehemptah
Site Admin

Kairon on Intel Processors

Post by mehemptah »

Hello There, too,

i created a universal binary of the latest Kairon Beta, but i have none of these brand new macs to test it.
Here is the link to it: http://kairon.formativ.net/Kairon.dmg.zip
After downloading it is important to first move the Kairon folder to where you finally want it, to properly install and activate the font and to then launch the application. (moving it after it was first launched is not so easy yet, so better think before you click it)

Will you give it a try?

Anyways my best wishes,

Kilian
marklasv

Post by marklasv »

Hello Killan,

I'm more than happy to try it out....Give me a day or two to check it out and I'll post my results...

I'm still a newbie with macs, so be patient.

Thanks for responding!

Mark
mehemptah
Site Admin

news

Post by mehemptah »

Hello Mark,
meanwhile i got hand on a MacBook and could test Kairon 3.5 on it. The result is, that Rosetta automatically launches Kairon, and that the specially recompiled version for G5 and Intel is about 3 times faster :-)
This specially recompiled version is part of the CD installer but can also be separately downloaded by cllicking here at http://kairon.formativ.net/Kairon_355.zip. It is meant as an addition to the standard Kairon installer from the downloads page.
The current version of Kairon is 3.5.12 (finder info or kairon's about box)
Take care,
Kilian
marklasv

Post by marklasv »

Hello Kilian,

Thanks for the info! :D I am still "playing" with the original version your provided in your earlier post and have had NO issues. Although I am still getting used to the program itself, it has proven to be a wonderful program for my mac. I am pretty sure that I want to purchase the full private license, but I have a couple of questions (Please bear with me):

Should I download the version you mentioned through the link you mentioned and after downloading it should I uninstall the version I have on my computer first. A rather dumb question, but I was told the way to uninstall a program on a mac is to drag it from the app's folder to the trash. Is this true? I'm a little confused as to how to put in the latest version, purchase the license and get everything going.

Any advice on how to proceed is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards,

Mark
mehemptah
Site Admin

Best way to upgrade

Post by mehemptah »

:idea:
Hello Mark,

there are two basic concepts to upgrade:
1) the easy, all new, all clean way
- drag the old Kairon folder to the trash
- delete the font "Kairon Semiserif" from "/Library/Fonts/"
- delete any files starting "com.Kairon..." from /Users/<...>/Library/Preferences/"
- install Kairon from the fresh new installer
- move the special Kairon 3.55 into the new Kairon folder

2) the safe way if you have data to protect
if you have changed your settings a lot, rename the file(s) def.Kair,
def_de.Kair, def_jp.Kair from the "kPref" folder in the Kairon folder before you install Kairon with the fresh new installer.
Also, if you have extended your private Atlas, you should move it somewhere else before you do the update and then move it back, as per default a fresh empty private Atlas will be installed.
- delete the font "Kairon Semiserif" from "/Library/Fonts/"
- delete any files starting "com.Kairon..." from /Users/<...>/Library/Preferences/"
- install Kairon from the fresh new installer
- move the special Kairon 3.55 into the new Kairon folder

You can also just move your old folder into the trash, do the new installation and if you miss some item, just move it back into the new Kairon folder from out of the trashed Kairon folder.

No matter what way you choose, unless there is an old font called "Kairon Semiserif" on your system nothing much can happen... :-)

Regards,
Kilian
marklasv

Post by marklasv »

Thank You Kilian!

I'm going to do the fresh install. Your help is greatly appreciated! I really think this forum is great and your responses have been timely and very helpful, in addition to the program being so good. As a result, I'm going to purchase the full private license. Keep up the GREAT work!

:lol:

Mark
mehemptah
Site Admin

But don't forget ...

Post by mehemptah »

Thank you, Mark!

Please, now don't forget to download and install the extended Atlas, it must be installed immediately after installing Kairon. (Login and Password are the ones from the purchase receipt)

Best wishes and take care,
Kilian 8)
rodsmith

Intel Mac Version

Post by rodsmith »

Ye Gods and Little Fish that's FAST.

I have just purchased a new Intel Mac and downloaded the new software and oh-my-goodness its slick.

I'll put it through its paces for bugs and the like, but the first thing I noticed was "instant service" no more waiting for chart files to load an open.... even does the graphic ephemeris in a heartbeat (well, maybe 2 seconds total?) <grin> I'm gonna love this.

Take Care

Rod