Kairon with Mac OS 10.4.4

This is the old FAQ vor Versions 3.0 - 3.5.12
For full support please download and install Kairon 3.6 and ask your questions into the new FAQ
Das ist das alte FAQ für Versionen 3.0-3.5.12
Für vollen Support bitte Kairon 3.6 herunterladen und installieren und Fragen dann ins neue FAQ für 3.6 posten. Eine Fortführung des alten FAQ würde hier nur verwirren.
jmkunka

Kairon with Mac OS 10.4.4

Post by jmkunka »

I'm a registered user of Kairon 3.03.

Last week I updated to Mac OS 10.4.3, and today updated to 10.4.4.

(Did all of the usual disk and permissions repairs -- from the original Tiger DVD -- both before and after each installation.)

Under both 10.4.3 and 10.4.4, I am unable to open a new document: Choosing the menu item "File > New" does nothing.

When I choose to open an older Kairon AAF file, it displays in the dialog box but never actually opens when selected.

(BTW, although the falling snowflakes on the Web page are charming, this does seem to slow its responsiveness significantly.)

Any help will be very much appreciated!

jeff k
mehemptah
Site Admin

snowflakes and other troubles :)

Post by mehemptah »

first the easier part: at least in this forum you can get rid of the snowflakes by logging into your account and by choosing a different style for your profile... there are many of them available... but if you are lazy, just wait, i will get annoyed by the snowflakes sooner or later anyways .. . 8-)
Kairon: there is no system incompatibility, but sometimes a font can get deactivated. Kairon depends on any fonts you selected in your active preference file, AND, anyways it needs the font Kairon Semiserif be installed and active. Actually in almost any case ever it was just the font not installed or the extended atlas not installed (after selecting the atlas after registering) which knocked Kairon out.
The next release will put out error messages in such cases...
Take care,
Kilian
jmkunka

Post by jmkunka »

Kilian --

Reinstalling the Kairon package -- which installed the required font -- did in fact solve the problem of being unable to open Kairon files.

An error message -- as simple as "Unable to open file because font Kairon Semiserif is not installed" -- would alert folks like me to the nature of the problem and to its solution, thereby sparing you the time and annoyance of having to respond to such inquiries.

Thanks very much for your very swift and effective solution!

jeff k

P.S. I've actually archived your source code for the snowflakes, which -- as I mentioned before -- are truly charming.