freeware for getting astroids to load

This is the old FAQ vor Versions 3.0 - 3.5.12
For full support please download and install Kairon 3.6 and ask your questions into the new FAQ
Das ist das alte FAQ für Versionen 3.0-3.5.12
Für vollen Support bitte Kairon 3.6 herunterladen und installieren und Fragen dann ins neue FAQ für 3.6 posten. Eine Fortführung des alten FAQ würde hier nur verwirren.
lhhiles

freeware for getting astroids to load

Post by lhhiles »

:?: Hi. Does anyone have a recommendation for a freeware host that will allow a "panther" mac to get the asteroids off of astrodeinst? I went to the first site recommended and was a bit overwhelmed. Don't know anything about these things...

Thanks
mehemptah
Site Admin

fair use!!!

Post by mehemptah »

please, be a bit kind to the people from astrodienst, they have to pay for every download from their site, even if you should find a free isp to download. you can save time and money on all sides, if you ask them to send you a set of CD's with any data you may wish... their online offer is actually meant for the asteroids you work with, which can be no more than a few dozens ...
lhhiles

Post by lhhiles »

I hope it didn't come of as not being "kind" to them. I was not complaining. I haven't worked with astrodienst before other than looking at a page or two and know very little about "internetting".

Will I find details about how to request a CD at their website? Once I get it will Kilian's program be able to access it and add them into the program that way?

Thanks
:?:
mehemptah
Site Admin

being kind :)

Post by mehemptah »

internet is a great system, as it provides us with very pointed infos by simply clicking corresponding links, signified by corresponding titles.
you find all you need to know about these asteroids etc. by first clicking on http://www.kairon.cc/'s "online Tutorial", selecting the english version of it and by then reading all about the "asteroids" topic there. It exactly deals with how to get those asteroids to work in no time and at no expense to either party.
Actually, to get Kairon to work properly you should go through the other tutorials as well.
I still can't imagine anybody could need all the asteroids from astrodienst. To even have a look at one hundred of them takes many hours, what to say about almost twelve thousand! Well, at least it is possible. You can click ANY contact link at astrodienst and just let them know you want to buy such a cd.
Best wishes,
Kilian
lhhiles

Post by lhhiles »

Hi Kilian: I didn't know you were answering these. :)

I did try it the way the I thought the tutorial told me to do it a couple times but it wouldn't load. It did the same thing that it had done before like it couldn't find them in the "ast28" folder (for example) even though I'd chosen them the way I thought it told me to. There were only six I wanted to get; the newer ones father out; varuna, orchis, xena, quaoar, sedna and ixion.

I seem to do these things wrong the first few times I try them. I'll have my husband take a look at it with me and see if he reads it better than I do. If we both run up against it again, I'll post again.

Thanks again.