Installer seems broken

This is the old FAQ vor Versions 3.0 - 3.5.12
For full support please download and install Kairon 3.6 and ask your questions into the new FAQ
Das ist das alte FAQ für Versionen 3.0-3.5.12
Für vollen Support bitte Kairon 3.6 herunterladen und installieren und Fragen dann ins neue FAQ für 3.6 posten. Eine Fortführung des alten FAQ würde hier nur verwirren.
jaidormi

Installer seems broken

Post by jaidormi »

I have the Kairon 3.03 installer but it errors out every time. Going into the contents of the .pkg file and trying to un-gzip the archive manually gives errors, so I'm thinking that the archive is broken. Any help?

OS X 10.3.6
PPC G4 1.25GHz / 512MB
mehemptah
Site Admin

Re: Installer seems broken

Post by mehemptah »

jaidormi wrote:...but it errors out every time...
please, post the exact errors you get, after using a fresh, not "improved" copy from this (the official) link: Kairon 3.03, the more i can guess what is happening, the more likely i can guess what could be done. Please also post, what the installer exactly looks like, what it does, how far you get if it does something, if you had to unpack it, whatever.
Nancy Werner

Post by Nancy Werner »

On Dec 28 I downloaded the most recent installer expecting to try the program on my Mac Powerbook laptop G4 running sys OS 10.3.7. with 512 MB RAM.

The installer pkg unzips normally and on opening hangs/freezes at step 2 "read me". Only a force quite will exit the program and the client of course never appears. I trashed the original download & re-downloaded, same story.

Is this fixable or should I forget Kairon? I live outside the US so hard copy CDs are not an option.

Thanks, nnn
mehemptah
Site Admin

outside the US

Post by mehemptah »

This is truly an amazing thread! I just downloaded the installer, it expanded, it launched and it did not crash on an iMac 400 (G3) with osX 10.3.7. The same installer was also tested on the white iBook G4 and on an iBook G4 with the ultimately large screen as well as on an Apple G5 and never ran into any problems.
As it expands from the zip and as it can be launched, i do not think redownloading makes any sense.
As regards the CD and non US: i am non US as well, living in Vienna and a demo CD i ordered that got shipped on Dec 23rd arrived here safely on Dec 28th, which means delivery will not take more than a week, even if Christmas(!) is in between. The postage of the CD is already payed by the 15 U$, so i wonder where there is a difference for (undefined) non US to receive it from European and US citizens?
But then: I have no idea if the Installer of the CD, though it is done a bit differently from the downloadable one (as it properly sets the permissions while the downloadable installer sometimes sets wrong ones (next downloadable one will also set them)) will behave better on a system, where the downloadable one does launch, but not install.
So i am offering a third way for installation here:
A downloadable zip without installer but the files and a "place them properly instruction" that MUST be EXACTLY :!: followed. (I am hoping for your further feedback, the page with full instructions is here now) :)
Originally this was the intended way to install Kairon, but my first few beta testers complained heavily about it calling it too complicated...